Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos
8 hours 10 minutes
8 hours 20 minutes
- 1 orange, washed
- 1 lime, washed
- 4lb pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup Culinary Tours Hatch Green Chili Street Taco Sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Culinary Tours Hatch Green Chili Street Taco Sauce
- Queso fresco
- Corn tortillas, warmed
- Lime wedges
- White onion, diced
- Using a vegetable peeler, take 1-inch-wide-strips of zest from orange and lime. Cut each in half and juice.
- Add zest and juice to the slow cooker along with pork, onion, taco sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8 hours, until pork is fork-tender.
- Preheat broiler to high. Place chunks of pork onto a baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Spoon 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid over the pork and broil for 4-5 minutes, or until pork begins to crisp. Stir pork and add an additional 1/4 cup cooking liquid and broil for another 5 minutes. Remove pork from broiler and spoon more cooking liquid over to moisten.
- Serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings.